Thursday, October 02, 2008

Album of the Day #73: HOUSES OF THE HOLY - Led Zeppelin

Title: Houses Of The Holy
Artist: Led Zeppelin
Label: Atlantic
Year: 1973
Songs: The Song Remains The Same*/The Rain Song*/Over The Hills And Faraway*/The Crunge**/Dancing Days*/D'Yer Mak'Er**/No Quarter***/The Ocean**
Written by: *Jimmy Page & Robert Plant, **Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, John Paul Jones & John Bonham and ***Jimmy Page, Robert Plant & John Paul Jones
Produced by: Jimmy Page
Executive Producer: Peter Grant
Thoughts: I have to say I really like this album and it's probably my favorite Led Zep album, despite my insistence that Physical Graffitti, Presence, and In Through The Out Door are their best. I mostly say that because I like to be different. Anyway, Houses Of The Holy is tight, probably the tightest Zep LP, with only one song that barely goes over seven minutes. I know a lot of people love to hate on "The Crunge", but it's got this infectious groove and Plant's rambling, nonsensical lyrics are hilarious. "D'Yer Mak'Er" is probably the only song in their cannon that you could possibly mistake as not being a Led Zep song, but still is quite engaging, like most of this album. I'm not really sure I like "No Quarter", though. Still, great album...and of course necessary for all collections.
Rating: 9/10

No comments: