Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Album of the Day #59: A HARD DAY'S NIGHT - The Beatles

Title: A Hard Day's Night
Artist: The Beatles

Label:
UK: Parlophone/EMI
US: United Artists
Year: 1964
Songs:
British LP: A Hard Day's Night/I Should Have Known Better/If I Fell/I'm Happy Just To Dance With You/And I Love Her/Tell Me Why/Can't Buy Me Love/Any Time At All/I'll Cry Instead/Things We Said Today/When I Get Home/You Can't Do That/I'll Be Back
American Soundtrack: A Hard Day's Night/Tell Me Why/I'll Cry Instead/I Should Have Known Better (Instrumental)/I'm Happy Just To Dance With You/And I Love Her (Instrumental)/I Should Have Known Better/If I Fell/And I Love Her/Ringo's Theme (This Boy) (Instrumental)/Can't Buy Me Love/A Hard Day's Night (Instrumental)
Written by: John Lennon & Paul McCartney
Produced by: George Martin
Thoughts: This is the first great Beatle album. The songs on here are like a parade of just magnificent numbers. A Hard Day's Night is also the only 100% Lennon/McCartney album and for the most part, it's John that shines through. Most of these are John songs and they are among his best. "You Can't Do That", "If I Fell", "Any Time At All" and "I'll Cry Instead" are all just amazing. Paul only has a few numbers, them being "And I Love Her", "Can't Buy Me Love" and "Things We Said Today" but these are spectacular. Particularly "And I Love Her", which used to be my favorite Bealte song as a kid. George's shot at vocals is "I'm Happy Just To Dance With You" is the sole weak spot, but it's still good. The American version is quite interesting and worth tracking down on vinyl. It features four Martin instrumentals in place of the Side Two UK tracks. These instrumentals are particularly funny, especially "I Should Have Known Better".
Rating: 10/10

No comments: