Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Album Of The Day #45: TIME OUT OF MIND - Bob Dylan

Title: Time Out Of Mind

Artist: Bob Dylan
Label: Columbia
Year: 1997
Songs: Love Sick/Dirt Road Blues/Standing In The Doorway/Million Miles/Tryin' To Get To Heaven/'Til I Fell In Love With You/Not Dark Yet/Cold Irons Bound/Make You Feel My Love/Can't Wait/Highlands
Written by: Bob Dylan
Produced by: Daniel Lanois...in association with Jack Frost Productions
Thoughts: Here's something I bet you might not know: I don't belong to a Bob Dylan forum. I love Dylan to no end, but I read some of the forums and his fans are the most unforgiving. I keep reading about how this album is terrible...the production being the common sticking point. Maybe it's because I'm not musically trained or maybe I'm a naive fan, but I like Lanois's sparse, quiet production. The songs themselves might be a little long (two reach seven minutes, "Highlands" is sixteen minutes and only two of the remaining tracks are under four minutes), but they are great songs. My favorite song is "Tryin' To Get To Heaven." The closing verse is just incredible:
Gonna sleep down in the parlor
And relive my dreams
I'll close my eyes and I wonder
If everything is as hollow as it seems
Some trains don't pull no gamblers
No midnight ramblers, like they did before
I been to Sugar Town, I shook the sugar down
Now I'm trying to get to heaven before they close the door
The song makes you wonder if this is a love song or about a guy who is on the brink of death and trying to get to paradise. Then again, many of these songs wonder that thin line between clear depression and absolute love.
Rating: 10/10

No comments: