Friday, August 29, 2008

Album Of The Day #41: WISH YOU WERE HERE - Badfinger

Title: Wish You Were Here

Artist: Badfinger
Label: Warner Bros.
Year: 1974
Songs: Just A Chance*/Your So Fine**/Got To Get Out Of Here***/Know One Knows*/Dennis*/In The Meantime**/Some Other Time***/Love Time***/King Of The Load(T)+/Meanwhile Back At The Ranch*/Should I Smoke***
Written by: *Pete Ham, **Mike Gibbins, ***Joey Molland and +Tom Evans
Produced by: Chris Thomas
Thoughts: Here's another great album that probably no one in their right mind has ever heard. I haven't quite finished Badfinger's catalogue (which is too hard by anyone's standards), so I only have this, No Dice and Straight Up (which I reviewed a long time ago). Nevertheless, I love these guys and when I heard that this was going to be reissued, I grabbed it, although it turned out that it's only an imported version of the one available in Europe since the mid-nineties. Since the first time I heard this one, I liked it, and although the first side isn't that great (featuring Ham's freaky "Dennis" and strange "Know One Knows") the second side is impressive, with two great medleys. My favorite track, though, is Tom Evan's sole writing credit, "King Of The Load(T)," a great, understated ballad.
Rating: 7/10

No comments: