Friday, September 11, 2009

Remembering 9/11

This is my right, a right given by God
To live a free life, to live in Freedom
Talkin' about Freedom
I'm Talkin' bout Freedom
I will fight, for the right
To live in Freedom

Anyone, who tries to take it away
Will have to answer, Cause this is my right

I'm talkin' about Freedom
I'm Talkin' bout Freedom
I will fight, for the right
To live in Freedom, yeah oh

Talkin' about Freedom
I'm talkin' bout Freedom
I will fight, for the right
To live in Freedom

Everybody talkin' bout Freedom
We're Talkin' bout Freedom
We will fight, for the right
To live in Freedom

Talkin' bout freedom
I'm talkin bout freedom
I will fight, for the right
To live in Freedom

I'm talkin' about Freedom
I'm talkin' about Freedom
We will fight, for the right
To live in Freedom


Paul McCartney's song "Freedom", performed at the Concert For New York City may be a little cheesy eight years later, but the fact remains: It's a nice little summation of people's feelings in the immediate months after September 11, 2001.
Now, this is primarily a music blog of course, but I would really like to publish my memories of that fateful day. Of course, anyone who would like to share anything here is fine with me. I welcome anyone to do so.
On September 11, 2001, I was at least a week into my first year of Junior High. It was East Junior High School in Brockton, Massachusetts. (For those that don't know, Brockton is a city about a 40 minute drive south of Boston.) It happened in the morning, as we all remember, so I was in my social science class, being held in the library. I remember about half-way through the class, another teacher ran in with a radio, interrupting whatever my teacher was covering. We couldn't turn on a television, since none of the TVs were plugged in and only connected to VCRs. After we heard all the commotion on the radio, the principal came on the intercom and explained to everyone what was happening. We finished the day out, so the first time I actually saw footage was around 2:00 that afternoon.
I remember that there was a lot of attention paid to Boston, especially since it was where the planes started. They lifted-off from Boston and I just remember how nuts that all was.
Anyway, I don't know anyone who knew someone who was there, but now that I go to a university in New York, I've heard a lot more from people who were so close to the event. Even though that's the case, being in the Northeast at the time was really scary, I think, especially in the Boston area.
I just can't imagine how it must feel to have been actually affected by the event. It was just a shocking event and I can't believe how long ago it was. Eight years ago, I was just eleven years old and it really is true - I remember it like it was yesterday. Back then, I was still dead-set on the idea that I was going to be Disney's next top animator. Now, I'm going to a school on Long Island, majoring in journalism and doing stuff I never dreamed of!
Anyway, on September 11, 2009, just sit back and remind yourself of what happened. It's impossible to forget...so don't.

No comments: