Saturday, September 20, 2008

Album of the Day #63: SGT. PEPPER'S LONELY HEARTS CLUB BAND - The Bealtes

As I said before, I already covered Revolver. It's album of the day #48, so you can go back to see it.
Title: Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
Artist: The Beatles
Label: Parlophone/EMI
Year: 1967
Songs: Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band/With A Little Help From My Friends/Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds/Getting Better/Fixing A Hole/She's Leaving Home/Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite!/Within You Without You*/When I'm Sixty-Four/Lovely Rita/Good Morning Good Morning/Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)/A Day In The Life
Written by: John Lennon & Paul McCartney, except *George Harrison
Produced by: George Martin
Thoughts: There isn't anything I can say that hasn't been said. However, I will say (because, of course, this is my blog) that it is not the greatest album of all time. Yeah, you read that right. Revolver is, clear and simple.
If there is anything to say about these songs is that if you look at them separately, they are just immaculate. John, who was going through a rough patch, writing wise, has some of the best Beatle songs here, especially with "Good Morning Good Morning". I don't know how you can call a song on the most overrated album of all time "underrated," but "Good Morning Good Morning" is often forgotten about. As one of only three real rockers on the LP, it sounds out of place. Listen close to these songs and you will notice that this is a pop album, not a rock album. As I just wrote, there are clearly only three rockers, those being the title track, "Getting Better" and "Good Morning Good Morning".
I think the rock 'press' (if that's what they like to call themselves) has clouded our judgement. We only think of this as the greatest album of all time because of its' influence and how well it sells. (Consistently, to this day, it still winds up charting in places around the world and has to sell at least 100,000 copies world-wide a year, I'd assume.) Just because an album sells and a lot of people have listened to it, doesn't really make it the greatest album of all time. For all we know, we've never heard the greatest album of all time. Maybe it hasn't come out yet. Maybe it did and nobody bought it. Who knows. Isn't it true that we all have opinions and they can all be different? I mean, we now have a rock 'press' that appears to be completely biased towards the past. Personally, I am biased to the past myself, but I don't seriously believe that no good music has been made in the past twenty years. Good music is made all the time, but again, we all have different rules as to what makes good music.
Get Sgt. Pepper's now and make your own judgement.
Rating: 9/10

No comments: