Saturday, August 16, 2008

Album OF The Day #28: VANILLA FUDGE

Title: Vanilla Fudge

Artist: Vanilla Fudge
Label: Atco/Atlantic
Year: 1967
Songs: Ticket To Ride*/People Get Ready**/She's Not There***/Bang Bang#/STRA (Illusions Of My Childhood - Part One)/You Keep Me Hanging On##/WBER (Illusions Of My Childhood - Part Two)/Take Me For A Little While###/RYFI (Illusions Of My Childhood - Part Three)/Eleanor Rigby*/ELDS
Written by: *John Lennon & Paul McCartney, **Curtis Mayfield, ***Rod Argent, #Sonny Bono, ##Brian Holland, Lamont Dozier & Eddie Holland and ###Trade Martin
Produced & Directed by: Shadow Morton
Thoughts: I'm really not sure what to think of this, except that it's a pretty weird debut album for an untested act in 1967. It's like the band took a bunch of their favorite 45s and decided to play them at 33 & 1/3 and perform them that way! Listen to "She's Not There", particularly, where they take the song and just make it something it's really not. I man, there's really no point to drag it on for five minutes. What attracted me to this album was their covers of "Ticket To Ride" and "Eleanor Rigby" because I wanted to know how they could drag such short, sweet (and awesome) songs to 5:40 and 8:03 respectively. I've never heard anything else by Vanilla Fudge and after this...I'm not sure I want to.
Rating: 6/10

No comments: