Saturday, July 26, 2008

Album of the Day #7: THE BEATLES - The Beatles

Title: The Beatles
Artist: The Beatles
Label: Apple/Capitol/Parlophone/EMI
Year: 1968
Songs: Back In The U.S.S.R./Dear Prudence/Glass Onion/Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da/Wild Honey Pie/The Continuing Story Of Bungalow Bill/While My Guitar Gently Weeps*/Happiness Is A Warm Gun/Martha My Dear/I’m So Tired/Blackbird/Piggies*/Rocky Raccoon/Don’t Pass Me By**/Why Don’t We Do It In The Road?/I Will/Julia/Birthday/Yer Blues/Mother Nature’s Son/Everybody’s Got Something To Hide Except For Me And My Monkey/Sexy Sadie/Helter Skelter/Long, Long, Long*/Revolution 1/Honey Pie/Savoy Truffle*/Cry Baby Cry/Good Night
Written by: John Lennon & Paul McCartney, except *by George Harrison and **by Richard Starkey
Produced by: George Martin
Thoughts: Well, soon enough I was going to do a Beatle album, and what better to start off with than probably the best? The White Album was ground breaking when it came out (with just two years left of the decade, it became the #1 best-seller of the sixties) and I still believe it is. It spans all types of musical genres. Still, I have always thought that “Circles” and “Not Guilty” (both by George) were much better than “Rocky Racoon” and “Bungalow Bill” (by Paul and John respectively), but there they are…annoyingly taking away spots from more great George songs. That’s my only complaint. (I think we can look over “Wild Honey Pie”.) It’s wonderful, a masterpiece and…a lot better that Sgt. Pepper.
Rating: 10/10

No comments: